Postgresql

Just wondering if the would be any chance of running cs-cart with a PostgreSQL database ?

I know right out th ebox it would work but could it be made to work ?

Just wondering if the would be any chance of running cs-cart with a PostgreSQL database ?

It's very good question.

Do you get any answer?

Phanks.

Well, this would require developers that use MySQL databases to rewrite their functions, and it would require core file modifaction as PostgreSQL uses different functions. So no, this would not work right out of the box.

You would have to port the database class to use the postgres functions and do whatever is required to support the various db_*() functions. Shouldn't require any developer to rewrite their calls (assuming they use the provided db_*() functions). But it would be a lot of work to provide the appropriate methods in the database class. Also note that upgrades, etc. may carry a new DB class so it could in fact break any upgrades that may occur. Note too that there are many internal hooks used to redefine some of the DB queries to join tables like ult_objects_sharing, etc.

In summary, it's a lot of work for probably little gain....

You would have to port the database class to use the postgres functions and do whatever is required to support the various db_*() functions. Shouldn't require any developer to rewrite their calls (assuming they use the provided db_*() functions). But it would be a lot of work to provide the appropriate methods in the database class. Also note that upgrades, etc. may carry a new DB class so it could in fact break any upgrades that may occur. Note too that there are many internal hooks used to redefine some of the DB queries to join tables like ult_objects_sharing, etc.

In summary, it's a lot of work for probably little gain....

I have to agree but I do think that it would speed up cs-cart by a ton. The "get" functions from PostgreSQL were about 5 times as fast!

Not sure I'd make that bet....

Not sure I'd make that bet....

http://nghenglim.github.io/PostgreSQL-9.5.0-vs-MariaDB-10.1.11-vs-MySQL-5.7.0-year-2016/?time=1

Keep in mind, that the benchmark has been performed on default configuration that comes with the Docker image on VM. It does not make any sense to compare two different databases without any performance tuning. I do not admire MySQL but I call for an objective evaluation of the tests and their results. These tests does not seem to be serious and reproductive.

Please do not get me wrong, PostgreSQL support in future versions of CS-Cart have a real chance to be implemented soon.

And I'm assuming you have the uservoice votes to put fort that effort rather than things like dimensional shipping or proper handling of larger shipments where totals would exceed limits but repackaging would solve the problems. Or any of the other multitude of functional requests.