There Should Never Be Any Periods In Product Urls. Cs-Cart Please Fix Up Your Seo Issues.

The SEO addon does all kinds of unnecessary replacements and additions that really sabotage your SEO. But in one of the few instances where it's really needed it does nothing.

Product URL's should not contain any periods. Periods are to indicate subdomains, file extensions or entry ID's. It indicates domain/file structure/setup. There should never be any period in a SEO name, unless the period indicates a product ID. If a product name has a period then it should be replaced by something else.

Previous versions of CS-Cart did not do this. See: http://forum.cs-cart…rom-415-to-422/

This is one of many issues in CS-Cart that cause CS-Cart to have such bad SEO.

What's wrong with a period? Not advocating the use, just wanting to understand why not.

[quote name='tbirnseth' timestamp='1418178662' post='199285']

What's wrong with a period? Not advocating the use, just wanting to understand why not.

[/quote]

We have the same question

Dots have special meaning in urls. A dot indicates a beginning, sub, tld, break, file extension or DNS end of a URL.

Beginning: www.domain

subdomain : [font=verdana][size=2][color=#000000]de.li.cio.us[/color][/size][/font]

tld: domain.com

break: /1234.pagename

pagename.html

DNS end: https://you.tu.be. (mind the dot at the end)

While a dot in a pagename will work its not a good idea for SEO. It indicates that there is a significant difference between what is before and after the dot. The dot indicates an address reference while the SEO name uses it as a meaningful term. Its would be similar if dots would be replaced by a backslash.

currently cs-cart turns this title 'K.J. Rowlings' into domain.com/en/k.j.-rowlings.html

this is not much different from: domain.com/en/k/j/-rowlings.html

In other words the keywords get lost. The url will rank for rowlings, not for k.j. rowlings.

Another issue is that you could end up with ./ or ../ or … which should be clear why to avoid that. Otherwise read here:

What Every Developer Should Know About URLs

[quote name='P-Pharma' timestamp='1419977683' post='201342']

Another issue is that you could end up with ./ or ../ or

[/quote]

lol. I cant post a double dot followed by a slash because the forum software can't deal with it. I rest my case.