Customer Default Language

[color=#282828][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]I have 2 languages in the storefront (English and French), and when I set the “language” to French (for example) for one of my customers, it doesn’t set the language to french on the website when they log in. They have manually change it every time.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]If that’s that’s not what it’s used for, how do I accomplish this?[/font][/color]

There is a precedence for setting language. I believe it is:[list]

[]value set by the user in the session

[
]Preference from user's profile

[]Browser language

[
]localization based on IP address

[/list]

Once determined, the value is kept in the user's session. So they would need to logout and login again for it to be active. Possibly start a new browser sesion by closing the browser and reopening.

[quote name='tbirnseth' timestamp='1389565498' post='174987']

There is a precedence for setting language. I believe it is:[list]

[]value set by the user in the session

[
]Preference from user's profile

[]Browser language

[
]localization based on IP address

[/list]

Once determined, the value is kept in the user's session. So they would need to logout and login again for it to be active. Possibly start a new browser sesion by closing the browser and reopening.

[/quote]

Thanks, tbirnseth. It's too bad the user profile preference isn't first. My website only has “pre-approved customers”, so it would impress my customers more if they login and already have their primary language active.

If it's a new session then they will get it. Otherwise they will get whatever they last used in their existing session.

This is a strange behavior CS-cart has, I have a same but different problem, if I manually set the language to Romanian in front end, if the browser is in English, the store changes to en. I did a “trick” but is not good: I clone en and change the language code to eg not en. Works now but I don't know how it affects SEO!