CS-Cart Ultimate Installation Problems

Hi,

I need some help if possible with an installation problem on our server. I know Ultimate works fine on XAMMP localhost but we cannot get it to work on our live server.

We have been going around in circles with CS-Cart support and our Host support so I'm posting on here in sheer desperation before as a last resort giving in and asking for our money back due to incompatibilities.

Here's a breakdown of the issue.

Following cart installation, the error message appears on the cart front end.

Warning[color=#000000]: Smarty error: unable to read resource: “exception.tpl” in [/color]/home/h2ometer/public_html/lib/smarty/Smarty.class.php[color=#000000] on line [/color]1095

The cart admin back end works fine.

We can overcome the error above by installing without www. on the domain name, that's not the point though. Why would/does this occur?

CS-Cart says that problem is connected with incorrect permissions specified for your files and directories.

[quote]

To resolve these errors, please contact your server administrator to set up these permissions for these items:

all files - 644

stores, skins, var, images and their subdirectories - 777

other directories - 755[/quote]

So despite us confirming that the permissions are correct for all folders and files we ask our host to check and they say.

[quote]

I have ensured permissions are set correctly and my host has also checked. The error has now slightly changed to:

Error_occurred[/quote]

So we're back to square one. There's all sorts of ideas about the 'Error_occurred' message on this forum but nothing conclusive. We have tried the store in development mode to see if it's a database error but we get nothing. Logs indicate zero errors. We've checked the DB in PHPMyAdmin and there are no errors reported, we've even tried 'fixing' tables just in case and nothing changes.

As this is the third installation attempt with exactly the same outcome I really am at a loss.

Help please!!

Thanks

Mark

You probably do not want to hear it, but change hosts. If you are having problems installing it now you will probably have other problems (performance) later. Get a good quality hosting package and your problems will go away. There are several good hosting packages that work great with cs-cart mentioned throughout the forums.

Just this week I installed ultimate on dedicated servers from wiredtree.com and networksolutions.com. Both are running smoothly and fast for my clients.

Thanks for your reply.

Our host is fabulous and I wouldn't think of changing so I'm looking for a resolution where we are rather than jumping ship.

We've had zero downtime and absolutely no issues whatsoever with our other carts running with the host. We've used Oscommerce and Interspire with no issues so there's something conflicting with CS-Cart rather than it being a host problem.

As a follow up, I've just done another fresh install and found that during installation the customer skin had not been installed. Admin was there which explains our first problem.

[url=“CS-Cart Documentation — CS-Cart 4.15.x documentation”]CS-Cart Documentation — CS-Cart 4.15.x documentation

I've copied the customer skin from the cscart_v3.0.1-ultimate\var\skins_repository\basic folder and set permissions to 777 as per CS-Cart support advice and we now have a front end but with 404 Page not found errors.

Any ideas?

I recall reading similar posts and for some reason the problem was that during the install, they entered www.domain.com instead of domain.com. It doesn't make any sense to me but that is what fixed their issue.

[quote name='The Tool' timestamp='1339173963' post='138331'] I recall reading similar posts and for some reason the problem was that during the install, they entered www.domain.com instead of domain.com. It doesn't make any sense to me but that is what fixed their issue. [/quote]

This is exactly how I got around the issue after going round and round, install after install - I installed without the 'www.' part, however, I get a 404 not found when I browse to domain.com but the site is perfectly working on www.domain.com - Ultimate v3.0.1

You either have a DNS problem or (as stated by cs-cart support) you have ownership/permissions problems.

Your DNS entries should resolve both www.domain.com and domain.com to the same address. Your config.local.php file should probably be setup to use the www.domain.com hostname. The domain name for your cPanel (or whatever management your host provides) should match what you have in config.local.php.

As far as permissions go, if your hosting environment is running PHP in DSO mode (check with your host). Then make all directories 777 and all files 644. If you are running in suPHP mode then ensure all directories are 755.

[quote name='tbirnseth' timestamp='1339194985' post='138342']

As far as permissions go, if your hosting environment is running PHP in DSO mode (check with your host). Then make all directories 777 and all files 644. If you are running in suPHP mode then ensure all directories are 755.

[/quote]

Not sure who this was directed at. We don't have a DNS problem, www. or not, it all goes to the correct domain.

Are there any security implications with making all directories 777?

I've just completed another fresh install without www. on the Server host name in the server config section of installation and everything works perfectly, I have two stores up and running.

I did however notice that you must have PHP open_basedir Tweak disabled for the license check otherwise you get an Ajax error report, it doesn't appear to affect installation though.

So the question is, why does adding www. to the server host name during installation cause all of these problems?

Since I've never seen this come up in the thousands of posts I've read in this forum, I can only say that if that truly is the only difference then it is something in your Apache (or whatever web server you are using) configuration related to your hosting environment. Both should resolve to the same IP and to the same document root of your web server. One of those must match what ends up in your config.local.php file as the 'http_host'. It shouldn't matter whether open_basedir is on or off unless you have your https in a separate directory structure that is outside your document root. If so, then open_basedir should be turned off.

Edit: you are running Ultimate. I would assume then that open_basedir should definitely be turned off unless all the stores (including the root store) are within the open_basedir specified directory.

Hello,

cs-cart considers this a bug as they state [color=#555555][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]this error is considered as a bug in the current version.[/size][/font][/color]

Sreedhar