jQuery update

Hi folks,

It’s time to rewrite our javacript to support latest jQuery :). Also we plan to replace the most of our custom scripts with popular jQuery plugins:

• draw all popups and dialogs using jQuery UI
  • use lightbox/fancybox to view images (btw, can you advise us some good plugins?)
  • drag and drop, sortables using jQuery UI
  • new jQuery-based wysiwyg editor
  • new calendar script (maybe we can find more usable that the current one)?
  • may be something else?

So, as always, we’re open for suggestions and discussion. Post your ideas here.

P.S. These changes are planned for 2.1.4.

[SIZE=7]FINALLY!

YES!!!:cool:

[/SIZE]

should have the ability to do product image zooming via jQuery. Most of your competitors offer this feature!

please make sure that the new lightbox effect for images supports videos / flash :slight_smile:

[quote name=‘Kayokoko Swimwear’]should have the ability to do product image zooming via jQuery. Most of your competitors offer this feature![/QUOTE]

If you do this please make it optional. I just want the larger image lightbox style popup and do not want zooming.

Other packages allow the user to select by product the different product image display abilities (e.g. zoom/lightbox/html windows etc…)

P.S while you are at it… can you guys PLEASE add a field in the product master for product cost! LOL I had to try to convince you guys to slip this into the update! :twisted:

I think that the lightbox should support lots of different information types, like images, movies, flash, html/ajax, etc. It should also have the ability to put a caption under the image, perhaps the title or alt tag, or even a totally separate string of text.

Some good jquery plugins:

Shadowbox

This one allows you to display images, flash, videos, quicktime, google video, you tube, etc. It is very functional and you should be able to skin it to match cs cart more. It also gives you the ability to decide how you want the content shown on monitors with less screen space.

[URL=“Media Viewer Plugin - Shadowbox.js”]Media Viewer Plugin - Shadowbox.js

Fancybox

This one also supports a range of content: images, HTML elements, SWF movies, Iframes and also Ajax requests. It also looks similar to the current image popup in cs cart, although I personally prefer other looks more, mostly for ease of use (ex. close button on the bottom right that says “close”).

[URL=“http://fancybox.net/”]Fancybox - Fancy jQuery lightbox alternative

Colorbox

Another feature packed lightbox that looks nice.

[URL=“Colorbox - a jQuery lightbox”]Colorbox - a jQuery lightbox

Lightbox

This one I am including for the look alone. Do not use this one, other than perhaps the style of the look. It is clean, looks like a physical photo, and has a nice easy to see close button.

[URL=“leandrovieira.com – Só mais um site WordPress”]leandrovieira.com – Só mais um site WordPress

Another Useful Plugin

The jquery-ui plugin is feature packed. [URL=“http://jqueryui.com/”]http://jqueryui.com/[/URL]. It could be used for the notification boxes (they can be moved around, styled, resized, etc). It also has drag and drop functionality if you plan to use this for blocks in the admin or for other features.

Example of notification boxes:

[URL=“Dialog | jQuery UI”]http://jqueryui.com/demos/dialog/[/URL]

I sort of like AJAX-ZOOM which handles both lightbox and zoom in one.

[quote name=‘whiplash13’]I sort of like AJAX-ZOOM which handles both lightbox and zoom in one.[/QUOTE]

It seems to be pretty slow though and at first glance it would definitely be overwhelming for my customers to use. On the internet, simplicity is king.

[quote name=‘adodric’]

Shadowbox

This one allows you to display images, flash, videos, quicktime, google video, you tube, etc. It is very functional and you should be able to skin it to match cs cart more. It also gives you the ability to decide how you want the content shown on monitors with less screen space.

[URL=“Media Viewer Plugin - Shadowbox.js”]Media Viewer Plugin - Shadowbox.js

Add my vote in for Shadowbox, we use it on our site to display a google map and it works very well.

[quote]

P.S. These changes are planned for 2.1.4.

[/quote]

I’m probably alone in this opinion, but I think this is far too soon. The current release has not demonstrated stability. There are many areas of the product which have been committed to complete (eg. Product Configurator) but have not been completed.

I personally would prefer to see the product stable and with its major functions completed BEFORE any major changes to the UI layer. JS has been a problem in almost every release since 2.0.1beta.

Going through this large a change would lead me to believe it would be at least 2.1.8 before it would be considered commercially stable (I know my view of this definition is different than cs). I am still on 2.0.15 (and my customers too) because of the stability issues seen in all 2.1 releases so far. I was hoping that by 2.1.4 I could see stability in the product. But if you’re going to redo all the presentation layer then - I guess I’ll have to postpone that plan.

I for one am much more interested in a stable, reliable and highly performing product than I am having the latest UI or latest trend. Nothing wrong with not being on the leading edge when you can provide quality and reliability in exchange.

Just my two cents…

For me, the existing look and feel of CS-Cart’s jQuery effects are fine. The problem with the current version is that I can’t use any modern jQuery plugins because they’re incompatible with CS-Cart’s “forked” obsolete jQuery version. Having an up-to-date AND unmodified jQuery in CS-Cart is the key improvement we need - fancy lightbox plugins can then be added by the users.

My ONLY concern is stability and the urge to rewrite everything because it’s more interesting to do new stuff than to maintain or complete the old… I don’t know a developer on the planet who would not choose new over existing… It’s the nature of the beast.

This is exciting news and opens up a new era of possibilities for CS - Sno

[quote name=‘sixnin9’]For me, the existing look and feel of CS-Cart’s jQuery effects are fine. The problem with the current version is that I can’t use any modern jQuery plugins because they’re incompatible with CS-Cart’s “forked” obsolete jQuery version. Having an up-to-date AND unmodified jQuery in CS-Cart is the key improvement we need - fancy lightbox plugins can then be added by the users.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%. The only functionality i want is to have the ability to use modern jquery plugins.

Now it is not possible.

I dont think rewriting all the javascript will do something at this time. There are more usefull

parts to remake.

I agree, I can’t wait for upgraded jquery libraries! That is excellent!

Another vote for shadowbox - my personal favorite modal window.

I also recommend a look at jquerytools.

[url]http://flowplayer.org/tools/index.html[/url]

Shadowbox is nice but thumbnails of each image would be nice does anyone know if that is possible with Shadowbox instead of a number representation for each image?

[quote name=‘whiplash13’]I sort of like AJAX-ZOOM which handles both lightbox and zoom in one.[/QUOTE]

AJAX zoom is good, but with strange licensing policy.

BTW, I can’t find lightbox script with ability to show thumbnails instead numbers and/or arrows in navigation, in the same way we use it in our custom script.