ADDON: FREE Horizonal Category Menu

CSS Only Horizontal Dropdown Menu, no JS.

Tested in IE5.5, IE6.0, IE7.0, IE8.0 and FF3.

Working with v2.0.3, 2.0.4 and v2.0.5 including upgrades.

Link: [COLOR=“Red”]h**p://www.mytestbox.co.uk[/COLOR]

Installation:

1. Upload folders to your site.
  2. Log into admin, click on ‘Administration’ tab, click ‘addons’.
  3. Scroll down to ‘Horizontal Menu’, click ‘install’.

Using the menu:
  4. While still logged into admin, click on ‘Design’ tab.
  5. Click on ‘Blocks’.
  6. Click on ‘Add Block’, and setup block as shown below.

Name: Horizontal Menu

Block Content: Categories

Filling: Horizontal Menu

Appearance Type: categories_hor.tpl

Wrapper: - -

7. Click on ‘Create’ button, and make sure it’s set to Active.
  8. Disable existing Categories menu if any.

Changing menu theme:

I’ve included a few variants/themes of the menu.

To change the theme:
  9. Log into Admin, click on ‘Design’ tab.
  10. Click on ‘Horizontal Menu’
  11. The new theme can be selected using the select box.
  12. Click ‘Save’ button to save changes.

Adding a theme:

New themes should be added to /skins/YOUR_SKIN/customer/addons/hor_menu/css/

The theme needs to have a unique folder name i.e. “New_Theme1”, a style sheet called ‘style.css’ and optional screenshot called ‘screenshot.jpg’ ( 300px by 300px ).

Upload folder to /skins/YOUR_SKIN/customer/addons/hor_menu/css/ and the theme will automatically be listed in admin theme panel. Select new theme and click ‘Save’ button.

n.b. All included themes use the same core menu structure (categories_hor.tpl and menu_items.tpl), if your new menu requires changing of these files , older themes will cease to work.

A PDF of these instructions are included in download. Hope i haven’t forgotten anything.

Don’t forget to share your themes.

[COLOR=“Red”]Changes for v1.3[/COLOR]

[COLOR=“red”]z-index fix for cart, language, currency and sign in menu. (bug by darius)[/COLOR]

[COLOR=“red”]Subcategories not showing if subcat has children. (bug by baniels)[/COLOR]

[COLOR=“red”]Fix for Google Chrome[/COLOR]

Horizontal_Menu_v1.3.zip

Another very nice add-on. Thanks, Charlie

Bob

Thank you sir.

Thanks !!!

How I see you “could not copy” our horizontal dropdown menu at all…

In IE and in FF too, your version is not working properly.

Here is our working example: link.

[quote name=‘ThomH’]How I see you “could not copy” our horizontal dropdown menu at all…

Here is our working example: link.[/QUOTE]

Hold on a minute, don’t get your knickers in a twist, i haven’t copied your menu at all. You’ve used the LWIS frame work i haven’t. I’ve tested my menu in IETester, and it’s working in IE5.5, IE6, IE7 and IE8. Your menu has a script error in IE5.5 and IE6.

I don’t need to copy you as i’m quite capable of doing it myself thanks.

If you tested it then you saw that the menu appears under the cart content, language, etc. drop down box.

IETester is not really accurate, but you know.

“I don’t need to copy you as i’m quite capable of doing it myself thanks.”

I am really glad about this, mainly if you would not have copied our work, even only the pictures and other part of the code…:rolleyes:

[quote]

I am really glad about this, mainly if you would not have copied our work, even only the pictures and other part of the code…

[/quote]

Hold on a minute, do you still think i’ve copied your work? Grow up will you, the code i’ve used was the same as i used in the accordion menu i released (FREE) which was released before your horizontal menu. So if your saying the code is the same then i maybe i should be asking you why you copied my work? As for the images in the menu, i’ve got the psd file here if you want them, they were made in photoshop.

baballuci >

HUGE thanks!

Category menu is on top of everything else, if you click open cart status, this menu goes behind category menu. How to make it opposite ?

Nice work M8.

[quote]

Category menu is on top of everything else, if you click open cart status, this menu goes behind category menu. How to make it opposite ?

[/quote]

#nav {
padding:0;
margin:0;
list-style:none;
height:38px;
background:#fff url('images/bg.gif') repeat-x;
position:relative;
z-index:2; [COLOR="Red"]<<-- change from 200 to 2[/COLOR]
}

[quote name=‘baballuci’]
#nav {
padding:0;
margin:0;
list-style:none;
height:38px;
background:#fff url('images/bg.gif') repeat-x;
position:relative;
z-index:2; [COLOR="Red"]<<-- change from 200 to 2[/COLOR]
}
[/QUOTE]

This moves cart status list above the horizontal category thank you

Top menu dropdown (in basic skin) goes behind the horizontal category how to make it appear on top of category?

Fixed

[QUOTE]z-index:2; [COLOR=“Red”]<<-- change from 200 to 2[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

changed to z-index:0;

works for now :slight_smile:

Thanks Darius, attachment updated.

Great mod - thanks!

Glen

Good job Charlie. Now I can quit beating myself up over it. LOL

Brilliant work. Hats off to you!

Gonna get this installed and work on some free themes for you guys.

[quote]

Gonna get this installed and work on some free themes for you guys.

[/quote]

That’ll be great. :stuck_out_tongue:

Might look into having a multicolumn version. Be a few days till i get a chance though.

[quote name=‘ThomH’]How I see you “could not copy” our horizontal dropdown menu at all…

Charlie I’m right with you on this one. ThomH you are well out of order in my view and warrant to get a response like this.

Charlie has assisted in resolving many members’ problems, and in doing so has used up his own time and without profit may I add. He also is an active member in contributing add-ons such as the one he has here, again without profit.

I see you have noticeably made the forum conscious of your ‘New templates for cs-cart 2.0’ and ‘New mods for cs-cart 2.0’ to name but a few, though I do enquire exactly the posts where you have offered similar help and support in a without profit role?

Not true. Yesterday I was at parent house and loaded my old pc with earliest IE6, must say this piece of software works great!

I found that it only listed one subcategory for most of my main categories, and listed two for a couple. Any reason why that would be?

-----------------

UPDATE It looks like it will only show two items on the dropdown if the first one has no subcategories. Otherwise, if the first on the dropdown has subcategories, it is the only one shown.

Please take a look at my site and let me know what you think I can do.