Searchanise

Actually I'm not kidding. It's basic 80/20 strategy. We noticed this again when we started selling LOADS of cheaper products after a mention in a big magazine. This was a huge amount of work and we got a huge amount of emails and questions because of them. But we hardly made any money from them (we make 80% of our profit with just 20% of our products, like most companies - most just don't know it) so I stopped selling them. This could easily be applied to cs-cart's strategy since they seem overloaded by questions and complaints from “small customers”.

I'd choose to sell a more expensive product over a cheap one any time. I'm sure a smaller amount of what I call “serious business owners” plus cs-carts team (who now have more time) will bring be able to tune the carts just as well as those same people plus 1000's of people who are just seeing if starting a shop is something for them, think everything is a bug and would rather pay $40 then $50 for an add-on. If you are on the forum as much as I am, I'm sure you know what I mean.

As for cs-cart, I said they should keep a free version, just like OXID for example, who gives away the full product for free but also offers the same product with support and all for quite a lot of money. They are the nr1 shopping cart software used in Germany with Magento. I also think cs-cart should focus on getting some amazing skins on themeforest and all those sites and let the community grow from there. This would give the cart the exposure it deserves.

[quote name='admin' timestamp='1336809711' post='136298']

Thanks for more feedback on Searchanise! Again, I would like to state that Searchanise is just an option - you can use it if you like or just skip it if you don't.

Your CS-Cart does not rely on Searchanise service even if you use it for the in-store search and navigation - you can turn it off at anytime and the store will continue functioning without any problem using default search and navigation mechanism.

Same if your cart cannot get a response from Searchanise service for any reason - native CS-Cart search will work in this situation and store functioning will not be affected.

[/quote]

Nice try and that sounds good, but when the main search functionality is tied up in Searchanise, we won't really have much of a choice when the default search functionality is very limited. So instead of actually listening to your customers who don't want a 3rd party search on a different server, you should listen to your customers or you'll be driving current and future customers to competitors.

[quote name='Flow' timestamp='1337020655' post='136402']

I also don't see what all the fuss is about. Searchanise is an option (you don't have to use it), cs-cart thinks it's a good product, and people have to pay a little bit of money for it. If it's good, I'd be happy to do so but I have to say I'm also not really a fan of having my software run on another server even though there is a safety net (normal search will be used)

[/quote]

The fuss is that the default search functionality is not good at all compared to modern standards of search. For example, I still can't redirect a specific search term to a specific page like competitors allow. And so with limited functionality in the default install, Searchanise will basically be required de facto because of the need for better search. And the problem with Searchanise is that it's a 3rd party that runs on a different server and will eventually be an ongoing expense.

CS-Cart should focus on building a great all-inclusive cart. And if they want to offer services, then offer a hosted edition.

Ok, got your point. That makes sense. I just never had any problems with the search and never though I needed to connect a certain search to a certain page.

As long as they find the product they are looking for, I'm happy.

[quote name='knoxbury' timestamp='1337099635' post='136476']For example, I still can't redirect a specific search term to a specific page like competitors allow.[/quote]

Could you please describe this feature in detail? And also, what other shopping carts do provide it by default? We will surely take this into consideration to provide it to CS-Cart users.

[quote name='admin' timestamp='1337103672' post='136488']

Could you please describe this feature in detail? And also, what other shopping carts do provide it by default? We will surely take this into consideration to provide it to CS-Cart users.

[/quote]

You usually don't let us name specific competitors, but I believe it's Magento that allows this. For example, I can setup a search term such as “Apple” to redirect to a category landing page for Apple products instead of showing every product that has the word apple in it. This is VERY helpful and would make the search results much more relevant.

[quote]

[/quote]

To follow your own rules, wouldn't the proper place to request this be User-Voice and then to get it voted on and prioritized against all the other user-voice requests that have been outstanding for years?

[quote name=‘tbirnseth’ timestamp=‘1337274021’ post=‘136632’]

To follow your own rules, wouldn’t the proper place to request this be User-Voice and then to get it voted on and prioritized against all the other user-voice requests that have been outstanding for years?

[/quote]

:mrgreen:

Working as designed!

Thanks for the details and for posting it to the Ideas, knoxbury!

If you have not yet added basic search functionality such as “redirects” for certain terms, then searchanise is already dead on arrival. I don't know how anyone could realistically think about search, look at other ecommerce search options and not have redirect. Not only is this common in Magento, but it's also VERY common in search addon services which is what searchanise is trying to be.

[quote name='admin' timestamp='1337290810' post='136655']

Thanks for the details and for posting it to the Ideas, knoxbury!

[/quote]

[quote name='tbirnseth' timestamp='1337274021' post='136632']

To follow your own rules, wouldn't the proper place to request this be User-Voice and then to get it voted on and prioritized against all the other user-voice requests that have been outstanding for years?

[/quote]

See, this is just one of the problems with a 3rd party service. User voice is supposed to be for CS-Cart ideas, but Searchanise and Twigmo are not actually core to CS-Cart . . . so it doesn't seem like they belong in User Voice. CS-Cart continues to muddy the waters with these 3rd party addons.

Any news of when this feature was going to add on current version ?

1. The release delay is just the beginning of the problems with a 3rd party service.

2. Searchanise will not support “redirect” which is an absolute MUST in any search addon. Magento and paid search services always include the ability to redirect the user to a certain page when a certain term is typed.

3. Searchanise is product level only and will not return categories. Again, a must in any decent search.

Too bad CS-Cart won't listen to customers. I'm stuck in one of the sites I have, but my next ecommerce site will definitely not be run on CS-Cart, mainly because of bad decisions like this and Twigmo.

hello, please help me to change css of search suggestion (searchanise) in my cs-cart,

my cs-cart language is Persian and i used rtl direction, and need to change searchanise direction too

Nobody is here

dose any one have or know where i can get quick search for v3? I have tried to use Searchaise but its so rubbish, it keeps hiding my products no matter how many times a resync it.

Hi. How do I stop Searchanise from showing Out Of Stock items?

Show out of stock products is not ticked in General Settings, so its not linked to global settings of CS Cart as I have read elsewhere.

Hi. How do I stop Searchanise from showing Out Of Stock items?

Show out of stock products is not ticked in General Settings, so its not linked to global settings of CS Cart as I have read elsewhere.

Perhaps Searchanise support can tell you that ?