Product Combinations

Absolutely, Struck

This is, I believe, a key feature which must be considered in 'cart' design - so many systems just seem to fudge around or overlook the truly configurable multi-item product.

I'm keenly awaiting the Alt-Team's add-on offering - let's hope it is on schedule!

[quote name='Wilko' timestamp='1363688466' post='158106']

Quite simply, ALL carts should be able to present a bundle or grouping of individually available items as a 'single' product with each individual product making up the group having its own options, quantity, and SKU.

The grouped 'single' product should be able to have a 'zero' price. On the order and invoice, the individual products that make up the 'group' product should be on their own line showing options, quantity, unit price / line price.

[/quote]

That's exactly how CS-Cart's Product Configurator works. When an order for a Product Config item is exported to accounting software, it shows up as the Config part number with zero cost and debits each of the items in the configuration from the inventory. In the accounting software I set up the Config part number as a Non-Inventory Item with no cost so it never impacts COGs or Sales.

Thank you Magpie Don

I understand that the Product Configurator (PC) aims to achieve this functionality; however, one only has to scan through the posts around these forums to realise that the majority of users find the 'real world' usability of the PC is lacking.

I also feel that the PC is an entirely different tool than that which we are proposing in this thread… the PC seems great for setting up multiple options for a similar product type. Now, I may be at to early a point in my learning curve to have fully grasped the true power of the PC, but, it appears to be geared toward groups of products which are the constituent parts of a similar product i.e. a computer, where there a many options / permutations from a repeated cluster of 'sub products'.

The principle of 'bundled' products, as I and I believe others perceive, is the function of creating unlimited groups or clusters of 'bundled' products together with their options, either with or without a 'bundle discount'. The Product Configurator provides the means to create specific product groups from which to build a configured product but it is cumbersome and lacks the full flexibility and power of true product bundling.

I see Alt-Team now has the “Product packages” add-on for $79. Has anyone tried it?

http://www.alt-team…ges-add-on.html

djhosken - thanks for flagging this!

I will be taking a good look at it…

I tried the product package by Alt-Team. If you add options, it takes about 15 to 20 sec for the cart pop up to appear.