Little annoying quirks that have been in cs-cart forever and should be fixed

Updated my list.

Hi Flow,

Thank you for such a great post. That's the kind of feedback each developer dreams about:)

Some of the issues have already been addressed, and the others will be investigated.

I will get back with details next week.

Thumbs up to most of those issues need to be fixed

Hi guys,

I apologize for the long reply, I was completely out of time because of the v4.0.2 release.

Finally I've found some time to go through the issues in this thread.

[quote name='Flow' timestamp='1369557082' post='162426']

1. [font=arial]1. When users copy and paste a promo code, it happens a lot that they add a space at the end of beginning. The promo code doesn't work then. We get at least 3 calls per week where this happens. It would be great if cs-cart would accept the codes also with space like some other carts do.[/font]

[/quote]

Fixed in v4.0.x

2) The captcha should not have a timeout. Some users spend 15 minutes on writing a -hopefully awesome- review only to see they can't post it because the captcha is not being accepted. Sometimes the screen will even refresh and they loose all their work. This pisses off customers and we loose reviews.

Update: a lot of cs-cart users say captcha almost always fails on first try. Seems to happen especially on reviews being posted as guests.

[/quote]

Will be fixed in next minor release.

As for the first unsuccessful captcha input, should you ever encounter this on any site, please let us know.

3) Discounts should be taken into account when it comes to shipping costs. Explained: if[color=#282828] i give free shipping to all customers who spend over £100, and a customer spend s£150.00 and then they have a discount code for say 50% off, this would take the value down to £75.00 so as this is under £100, shipping should be applied, but it isn't.[/color]

[/quote]

This is because in condition we use the “order subtotal”, not the “order total”. That's why the free shipping is still applied.

We will investigate the code and most probably will add another condition “Order total” - that should fix the issue above.

[font=arial][size=1][size=4]4) Banners should be multilanguage. We should be able to upload a banner (picture) for each language. But when I change the picture in one language, the other language changes as well. Worse: a banner can link to only 1 url while it should be able to link to an individual url per language.[/size][/size][/font]

[/quote]

We have this feature request in our tracker.

Will take a closer look on it further month, there are some other things to be improved in banners.

[font=arial][size=1][size=4]5) On step one of checkout, users fill out their name. Then they go to step two and… they have to do it again! Names should be taken to step 2 automatically.[/size][/size][/font]

[/quote]

As I can see there is no such problem in CS-Cart 4.0.2

[font=arial]6) We should be able to enter a discount code when editing an order. At least once per week we have a customer who forgot to enter his and then mails if we could still give him/her the discount. This is impossible which makes for bad customer service (we “fix” this by changing the price of a product which is silly but the only way).[/font]

[/quote]

Fixed in v4.0.2

[quote name='Onkel_Sid' timestamp='1370378471' post='163025']

I think its kind of strange that CS-Cart still doesn't have a field where we can input the Cost Price of a product. All other e-commerce-solutions i have tried over the years have this, including: Interspire Shopping Cart, Big Commerce, Prestashop, OS Commerce, Opencart, Magento - The list goes on…

[/quote]

We are aware of this request, here it is in the Uservoice: http://cscart.uservoice.com/forums/134344-cs-cart/suggestions/561057-ability-for-profit-calculation-and-reports-on-sale

I think we will publish such add-on in the labs section in the near future. Depending on the feedback, we will decide on what to do with it after the tests.

[quote name='Onkel_Sid' timestamp='1370378471' post='163025']

Also very annoying that whenever i include an attachment to a product i have to do it twice to make it work.

[/quote]

Can you please describe this problem in more details?

[quote name='BarryH' timestamp='1371393815' post='163727']

It bugs me that CS Cart hasn't addressed the EU Cookie legislation - yes there's addons out there now, but shouldn't CS be obliged to provide such functionality as standard so their customers can comply with new rules (after all there was plenty of notice it was going to happen so could have just been incorporated with one of the releases).

[/quote]

Released in v4.0.2: CS-Cart 4.0.2: Store Import, CDN Support, and More | eCommerce Blog on Running an Online Marketplace

SEO needs addressing - this should be fully optimised as standard.

[/quote]

We've made some improvements in SEO, now you can use SEO name in any language and there are no duplicate titles on pagination anymore.

If you have any certain complaints, please describe them in details.

Hi Ilya, it’s great you and your company are addressing these issues. Well done.

Thumbs up from me! :grin:

[quote name='imac' timestamp='1380710536' post='169039']

[color=#282828][font=arial]5) On step one of checkout, users fill out their name. Then they go to step two and… they have to do it again! Names should be taken to step 2 automatically.[/font][/color]

As I can see there is no such problem in CS-Cart 4.0.2

[/quote]

I just verified this on the demo store. Awesome!

I am extremely happy to see the progress. Great work CS-Cart!

Hi Imac,

Very glad to see you picked this up. I’ll continue to post things like this if you like :)

[quote name='imac' timestamp='1380711484' post='169040']

Can you please describe this problem in more details?

[/quote]

If you attach a PDF, like a manual to a product, the first time you select the file it will not appear on the frontend, and it shows in admin as an attachment with 0 kb. If you do it again and select the same file again it shows up correctly on the frontend, and also shows the correct kb of the file. BTW I am on 3.0.6.

Imac, I have another issue I forgot:

If a customer uses a gift certificate, but does not finish payment (because he can't find his credit card for example), the order is set on incomplete and the gift certificate to used.

Now let's say customer comes back in the evening to finish his order. He can't use his gift certificate anymore.

As you can imagine this is very annoying for customers (who don't understand) as well as shop owners (for whom it takes a lot of time to fix).

I think same happens on payment decline/failure too, not just incomplete orders.

Seems like a button is needed to “release” the gift-cert from an order. Be nice if this were automatic.

[quote name='tbirnseth' timestamp='1381607679' post='169620']

I think same happens on payment decline/failure too, not just incomplete orders.

Seems like a button is needed to “release” the gift-cert from an order. Be nice if this were automatic.

[/quote]

Yes you are right.

One of the things that also haven't been solved FOREVER, is that during checkout, when you change your country, the localization doesn't change along with it. Are there any plans to fix this? It produces great problems with shipping and payment menthods.

It bugs me that CS Cart hasn't addressed the EU Cookie legislation - yes there's addons out there now, but shouldn't CS be obliged to provide such functionality as standard so their customers can comply with new rules (after all there was plenty of notice it was going to happen so could have just been incorporated with one of the releases).

Another real annoyance is that once you're in the checkout you can't see how much shipping is until you get almost to the end of the process - I would never buy anything from a cart like this. If the estimate shipping can have a default figure (which should be the cheapest option - see there's another one!!) then why can't this be carried through to the checkout.

SEO needs addressing - this should be fully optimised as standard.

I'll stop now before I get carried away!!!

Barry

[/quote]

The estimate shipping is an issue but since installing a 3rd party shipping estimator to my clients sites the abandoned carts have dropped. The add on was from Alt Team and adds an estimator to the product page. Estimate shipping cost CS-Cart add-on

I am not an employee for Alt Team just a happy developer. This can't be difficult to do for CS Cart. I'm testing v4 over the next few weeks.

[quote name='boxed-blue' timestamp='1382457239' post='170149']

The estimate shipping is an issue but since installing a 3rd party shipping estimator to my clients sites the abandoned carts have dropped. The add on was from Alt Team and adds an estimator to the product page. http://www.alt-team…-on.html?sl=EN.

I am not an employee for Alt Team just a happy developer. This can't be difficult to do for CS Cart. I'm testing v4 over the next few weeks.

[/quote]

Same here

[quote name='Flow' timestamp='1381573549' post='169609']

Imac, I have another issue I forgot:

If a customer uses a gift certificate, but does not finish payment (because he can't find his credit card for example), the order is set on incomplete and the gift certificate to used.

Now let's say customer comes back in the evening to finish his order. He can't use his gift certificate anymore.

As you can imagine this is very annoying for customers (who don't understand) as well as shop owners (for whom it takes a lot of time to fix).

[/quote]

[quote name='tbirnseth' timestamp='1381607679' post='169620']

[/quote]

Since 4.0.x you can try to place an order with the same certificate as many times as you want. Even though the order is Failed or Incomplete you can try to pay it again with the same Gift Certificate applied.

However if you want to release the Gift Certificate from Failed or Cancelled order you should do it manually:

1. Remove it from an order during order editing.
  2. Activate the Gift Certificate.

There is a “Remove” icon near the Gift Certificate code on order editing page. So i think we can change the status of a Gift Certificate back to Active after we'd removed it from an order.

What do you think about this guys?

imac, could you please look into the following quirks? For me and my staff these have been the most annoying quirks in CS-Cart. Flow has been working on one of my sites and was not able to resolve it.

1. the first SEO names bug is that CSC renames urls because it think that the name already exists, when it does not or in case it only exists in another language. (the latter should be resolved by changing the url to: /en/product_name )

2. There does not seem to be a way to get an uniform SEO url structure. CSC uses a different SEO structure on various occasions.

3. Content entered into one language is turning up in the fields of another language.

4. The shipping services we use(Fedex, DHL, TNT, UPS) calculate shipping costs in dimensional weight, while CSC does not support this. Yet this function is stated to be implemented.

3) Discounts should be taken into account when it comes to shipping costs. Explained: if[color=#282828] i give free shipping to all customers who spend over £100, and a customer spend s£150.00 and then they have a discount code for say 50% off, this would take the value down to £75.00 so as this is under £100, shipping should be applied, but it isn't.[/color]

[/quote]

Dear Flow,

We need your help. Here is what I've responded some time ago:

[quote][color=#282828][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]This is because in condition we use the “order subtotal”, not the “order total”. That's why the free shipping is still applied.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]We will investigate the code and most probably will add another condition “Order total” - that should fix the issue above.[/font][/color][/quote]

During this feature implementation we've faced the problem:

In case of using “cart total” for promotion conditions:

if[color=#282828] i give free shipping to all customers who spend over £100, and a customer spends £120.00 (including [/color][color=#282828]£30 for shipping[/color][color=#282828]).[/color] Than he gets the free shipping applied. And his total becomes less than [color=#282828]£100 and we should remove free shipping.[/color]

[color=#282828]So the script will stack in recursion.[/color]

[color=#282828]The same situation can be with a discount. If we give a discount of [/color][color=#282828]£30 to all customers who spends more than [/color][color=#282828]£100, than in case a customer spends [/color][color=#282828]£120 we face the same problem again.[/color]

I think the only solution of this issue is using “Stop other rules” and “priority” options. e.g. set the priority to “1” for discount coupon and enable “Stop other rules” option.

Maybe you have some thoughts about it?